Author Topic: Metallica - Death Magnetic  (Read 3122 times)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Metallica - Death Magnetic
« on: August 20, 2008, 22:35:02 »
The new Metallica album, Death Magnetic, is due out next month on September 12th.

Here's a video of a new song called Cyanide:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQTcgAuOSJQ&feature=related (The live concert video was removed from YouTube.)

I hope this isn't a repeat of St. Anger's style all the way through. What are your thoughts?

Update: Official video release on YouTube:
Metallica: The Day That Never Comes from Death Magnetic (YouTube/MetallicaTV)

« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:47:32 by Dragon »
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Metallica - Death Magnetic on 98Rock tonight!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 15:29:06 »
98Rock (www.98rock.com) just had an advertisement that "Metallica is taking over 98Rock." They will be playing the new Metallica album tonight at 9PM.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: Metallica - Death Magnetic
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 23:32:39 »
Anyone else listen to the songs/interview tonight?

I don't remember exactly how many songs they played - 4 or 5, I think. Dave Grohl and another guy from the Foo Fighters were conducting the interview and they did a pretty good job of sucking up to Metallica. They even said that "I won't say that this is the best Metallica album ever, but it's second to that." Personally, unless you consider Load to be Metallica's best album ever, I can't imagine any long term Metallica fans liking it that much. The Day That Never Comes is a song that has grown on me a bit since I've heard it several times now, but claiming this is "another classic Metallica album" is a complete Load.

Of course, they didn't play the whole album tonight. I'm assuming that they chose the best, or what they'd consider to become the most popular. Based on that I'll probably have to pass on buying this upcoming album.

Something that I'd consider even worse though is this. Metallica has decided that they aren't going to be a shy about playing the new songs in concert. They said that in the past they've only played a few of the newest songs on each tour, but they think that in order to get more public acceptance of their new material, they are going to force it onto their fans in concert. James Hetfield said fans learned to like the classics because they were "forced to listen to those songs for 20-odd years" so that's part of the justification for forcing their new music on fans. I cannot agree that the reasoning for those classic songs being considered classics has anything to do with them being forced on us, but that just goes to show what the New Metallica mindset is.

tampamac2002

• Gold Level
  • This IS my '68 Dodge Dart Convertable GT
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 02:34:30 »
Great.   ::)

So they think we like what they force feed us, not on our own, but because that's all they play in concert?   >:(   

What a bunch of idiots.

Mac
"That which knocks us down, can only make us stronger. "   Yeah, right!

Toni

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 20:13:34 »
So I clicked on the youtube link and it says it's no longer available due to copyright by something or other.  What did you think of the new album?  They play the new song here but I'm still just an old school Metallica fan.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2008, 08:55:24 »
Thanks for the update. I'm sure that you can find the video somewhere online if you're interested in seeing it. There are plenty of live videos of the new stuff, but you can probably catch a better version of the song on the radio by now.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 11:27:48 »
Has anyone here picked up Death Magnetic yet? I'm curious if the songs that they weren't promoting for the public were any good.

Oh, in case you haven't seen it yet, MetallicaTV released a video on YouTube:
Metallica: The Day That Never Comes from Death Magnetic (YouTube/MetallicaTV)

... And here's an article about Death Magnetic: Better, Shorter, Cut
« Last Edit: September 25, 2008, 11:51:07 by Dragon »

CecilLovelo

• Copper Level
this is very nice information
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2011, 11:15:10 »
Thankyou, this is very nice information, thanks.