Author Topic: RiffTrax  (Read 1639 times)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
RiffTrax
« on: February 28, 2010, 15:43:47 »
Can't recall if I ever mentioned this on the forum.  I don't se a thread for it, so...

Did you ever watch Mystery Science Theater 3000?  Have you wondered what those guys are up to lately?  Well, they're still pretty much doing the same thing on a low budget on their website, RiffTrax.com.

Most of the "riffs" are done by Kevin Murphy who played 'Tom Servo', Bill Corbett who took over as 'Crow T. Robot' after Trace Beaulieu left the show, and Mike Nelson who took over as 'Joel' after Joel Hodgson left the show, even though they called him 'Mike'... 

On MST3K they were restricted to just showing the movies they could get the rights to.  Since they now only do a unique audio track, they are free to make fun of whatever movie they want: from Casablanca, to the new Star Trek movie, and every Transformers, Titanic, X-Men, Jaws, Star Wars, Harry Potter and Twilight movie in between.

If you go to their website, Rifftrax.com you can browse their movie selection, and for $3 - $4.00, you can download a special audio track to play in your nearby sound system while watching your own rented or purchased copy of the movie. 

They also have a selection of pre-synced short films they do have the rights for that you can get for just $.99 each.  These are reminiscent of the shorts they would do on MST3K like "Mr. B Natural."

So far, I have bought the Rifftrax for the three Matrix movies, Cloverfield, the 2-hour pilot episode of LOST, and a hilarious one of Jurassic Park with guest riffer, "Weird Al" Yankovic.  It's a shame we don't still do movie nights... :'(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2010, 16:19:30 by TylerChuit »
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: RiffTrax
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 00:00:22 »
What a coincidence. I had just added some MST3000 stuff to my NetFlix Instant Queue. That sounds pretty funny.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

TylerChuit

• Platinum Level
  • I'm game!
    • My Game Collection via BGG
Re: RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 03:36:37 »
As a side note, if you're curious what the OTHER cast members of MST3K are up to...

http://www.cinematictitanic.com/

I guess once you have a hit TV show about making fun of movies, it just becomes 'what you do'.
"One, two, three, four... I declare a global thermo-nuclear war!"