Author Topic: 47mhz to 27mhz (Radio Shack to hobby grade conversion)  (Read 8099 times)

mickey

• Copper Level
I have 2 r/c speed boats, both 47mhz.
I just ordered a 27mhz antenna & crystal for one of the boats.
How do I go about changing the crystal? 

(Edit: Subject line updated)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 17:33:15 by Dragon »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
  • Have you played my board game?
    • Rival Troops
Re: 47mhz to 27mhz
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 03:19:43 »
If you have a hobby grade r/c vehicle, it is similar to replacing a fuse, you just pull the old set out of the transmitter and receiver and put the new set in. If you don't have a hobby grade r/c vehicle, then I'm guessing that you'd have to replace the receiver in the vehicle and probably get a new remote control transmitter.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

mickey

• Copper Level
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 09:10:18 »
That's what I have to do. (second comment).
I have recieved a new remote control transmitter & a new crystal that I have to install. But I have no clue on how to install the 27mhz crystal.

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 11:03:32 »
I've never done it myself, but I'm quite certain that you'll have to buy a new receiver to go with your transmitter.
"Hello IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? ... OK, well, the button on the side. Is it glowing?... Yeah, you need to turn it on. Err, the button turns it on. Yeah, you do know how a button works, don't you? No, not on clothes." - Roy (The IT Crowd)

mickey

• Copper Level
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 15:04:47 »
Any ideas where to bring it. I purchased a 27mhz crystal & 27mhz transmitter from Radio Shack, but they don't know how to install it.
It appears the 47mhz crystal needs to be removed & the 27mhz crystal soldered in it's place. I would try it myself, but I don't know which thingy is the 47mhz crystal on the circuit board.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 15:16:02 by mickey »

Dragon

• Administrator
  • Platinum Level
    • Rival Troops
Re: 47mhz to 27mhz (Radio Shack to hobby grade conversion)
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 17:30:41 »
You need to replace the receiver. The receiver is what the crystal plugs into. (The Radio Shack one probably doesn't have a crystal that can be removed.) It might look something like this:

(See http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/WTI0095P?FVSEARCH=reciever&search=Go for some available through Tower Hobbies.)

If you want to upload some photos of the inside of your vehicle here, someone might be able to point out what you're looking at.